A Day in the Life

One of the best things about my work is that no 2 days are alike.  Most days, I have opportunities to think big picture both about running an agency and also on behalf of clients.  But, I'm always interested in looking at my own habits and routines to see where I have room for improvement.


7:00 am Up, first thing I do, check the baby monitor, making sure baby J is still fast asleep.
7:30 am Enjoy my coffee and chat with hubby while he gets ready for work.
7:45 am Begin getting myself ready
8:15 am One of my most favorite parts of the day, going into baby J's room and seeing her bright eyes, glowing smile, and extreme joy that another day has begun.
9:00 am Trade off with J's nanny and begin my walk to the subway.
9:05 Pop in my headphones and start my audiobook, currently A Man Called Ove
9:30 Arrive at my desk and identify my 1 main focus of the day, and 2 more non-negotiable to-dos before checking emails or getting pulled in any number of different directions.  My favorite tool for this, Momentum for Chrome (pic above)
9:45 Check in with a colleague at my agency.  How can we keep people motivated?  How can we inspire people to participate in the vision and growth of our company?
10:00 Discuss an upcoming Request For Proposal to be released.  Begin thinking about the team to build for the project, ideas to propose, and best practices in digital design for children.
11:00 Agency Marketing Meeting. How can we use our website to attract and capture more leads?  How can we best tell our story?  What content will be engaging for our clients and prospects?  What value can we add?
12:00 Reading about up to date research and best practices in web design, interactives, and games for children.
1:00 Webinar (and Lunch). How to uncover the pain points of your prospects and offer solutions.
2:00 Director's Meeting.  Departmental meeting to get an overall sense of the work being done in each department and solving any departmental issues.
3:00 Blogging, twittering, Linkedin-ing
4:00 Meeting with education team and creative team to brainstorm innovative solutions for a current client.
5:30 Head back to the subway, audiobook playing.
6:00 Wrap my arms around lil J and head straight to the toybox or bookshelf together
6:30 Enjoy dinner together as a family
7:15 Begin baby J's nighttime routine, put on pj's, sip on some milk, read books
8:00 Enjoy some quiet time with hubby, usually involving an HBOGo episode of some kind
9:30 Begin my own nighttime routine
10:00 Crawl into bed and read- anything from fiction to business to magazines to parenting books
10:45 Lights out, get ready to do it all over again.

Some days are busier than others, but I definitely know I need to find more creative, quiet thinking space somewhere in my daily routine.  Any tips?

Comments